Saturday, September 22, 2007

How was your day yesterday, Alina?

Why, it sucked very much. Thanks for asking!

Lunchbreak - 12:15. I go outside to check my phone messages. (No cell phones in the office) I have a message from my grandpa, saying only to call him back urgently. I know something is wrong by the tone of his voice.

My great-aunt passed away Friday morning. She had cancer. Last time I saw her, she had started chemo but still looked strong. That was two months ago. I took a moment, out amongst all the towering steel buildings, to remember her house. It smelled of smoke - tobacco and sweetgrass. Her hair was so long it brushed the top of my head when I was little. She had a deep, gravelly voice from years of smoking, but a beautiful laugh.

I went for a walk, and then went back to work. I was supposed to meet with my supervisor after lunch to talk about extending my contract. They were quite happy with my work, and I had heard a lot of talk about them keeping me on permamently. The meeting got pushed back, so it wasn't until I was getting my timesheet signed at the end of the day that I found out that I wouldn't be filling one out next week. It was like straight out of a British comedy.

Me: "Thanks! I'll see you on Monday!" (pause) "Something wrong?"
Her: "Well, no, no... It's just, we won't see you on Monday. We're not renewing your contract after all. Budget restraints, you know. The CEO has made his decision." (helpless shrug)
Me: ... "Oh."
Her: "It's not that we weren't pleased with you - we were! If we could have kept you on, we would have. Really." (pleading, uncomfortable smile)
Me: "...Right." (brightly) "Well, it's been a pleasure working with you. Really. I enjoyed my time here." (awkward silence) "I suppose I'll be going now."

It's no big deal - I was working there on a temporary basis, the temp company I was working through has already promised me another placement sometime next week, and I have a good lead on something even better and -not- through a temp agency. But, still...

I worked the rest of the afternoon without showing my displeasure - professional as always, if slightly less sunny than usual. Then, I packed my things and left.

I finally broke in the line at the Swiss Chalet Express while Layne and I were getting supper and left him, rather bewildered, holding our receipt and wondering why I'd suddenly decided to go sit in the car for a bit. It had been a long day. I wanted to be with my family.

* * *

Which is why, at the time I this post, I am sitting at my grandfather's house in North Battleford. I took a bus as far as Lloyd, where he kindly picked me up. Tomorrow, we'll drive from here to Regina. When am I coming back? I don't know. How will I get home again? No clue!! I'll figure something out. I always do.

2 comments:

Cori Quite Contrary said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough day week. I'll see you soon, though!

Alina said...

Aww, thanks! I will see you soon, too! I'm really pumped about the game this weekend!